The Savill Garden
A view across the stream towards the Temperate
House in early Spring
The Savill Garden covers approximately
35 acres and dates from 1932 when it was started by Eric Savill,
Deputy Ranger of Windsor Great Park, with the support of King
George V and Queen Mary. With the intervention of the war, the
garden could not be completed until the early 1950s. It is said
that immediately following the war Eric Savill used bricks from
bombed houses in the East End of London to create the Walled
Originally known as The Bog Garden, George VI asked
that it be renamed in honour of Eric Savill in 1951. Eric Savill
was knighted in 1955. The area is ideally suited to the cultivation
of rhododendrons and azaleas and so is at its best in April and
May, but development over the years ensures interest all year
round and the garden is now considered one of the finest woodland
gardens anywhere in the world, containing a great number of rare
specimens. In addition large herbaceous borders, a rose garden,
peat beds, wall garden and bog garden combine to offer a wealth
of interest to the visitor.
By the entrance the visitor can immediately see laid
out ahead the broad slopes running down to the stream and lake,
with woodland beyond. Pathways reach out in all directions, many
designed for wheelchair access, making for a delightful couple
of hours exploring the various areas around the garden.
Facilities include an excellent plant centre and
shop, a restaurant over looking the gardens, as well as a Temperate
Glasshouse, opened in 1995 and named after the Queen Mother.
Parking is convenient and located directly outside the garden.
Contact: 044 (0)1753 860222
Savill Garden, Crown Estate Office,
The Great Park, Windsor, Berkshire.
The stream in April
Azaleas in springtime
The view back across the valley from the
Delightful woodland pathways
To contact us, email Thamesweb.