6 St George's Chapel - 3
6 Part III - Of The Chapel of St George
At the west end of the south aisle, is a small Chapel, dedicated to the Virgin Mary, called Beaufort Chapel, many of that ancient and noble family being buried here. In this Chapel are two noble marble monuments; one erected to the memory of Charles Somerset, Earl of Worcester, and Knight of the Garter, who died April 15, 1526, and his lady, Elizabeth, daughter and heiress of William, Earl of Huntingdon. The Earl lies dressed in the habit of the garter, with his head resting on a helmet; and on his right side is his lady, in her robes of state.
On the back, sit two angels, weeping; and at their head stands an angel, displaying their arms within the garter. This monument is enclosed within a screen of brass work, gil; and has no inscription on it.
The other monument is to the memory of Henry Somerset, late Duke of Beaufort, Knight of the Garter. It is of white marble, exceedingly magnificent; two columns of the Corinthian order, with their shafts entwined with leaves and flowers, support the upper part of the monument, on which is placed, on each side, a flaming urn, adorned with leaves and flowers; and in the centre, the duke's coat of arms. In the middle, below, is his grace, dressed in his robes, in a reclining posture. Over him are curtains hanging down by the columns on each side, while on the background are represented in relievo, in the clouds, two angels holding a crown and palm, and several cherubs. Below the duke is St. George, killing the dragon; and on each side of the monument, between the columns, stands a statue, one representing justice, the other fortitude. On the base is a Latin inscription, to the following; purport:
On a neat marble tablet, affixed to the wall of the Chapel, is the following inscription:
This Chapel being, in the time of the aforesaid rebellion upon the before-mentioned account, much defaced, and the brass work, to a considerable value, plundered and embezzled, was restored to its primitive form and shape, and what was wanting thereto supplied, at the expense and charge of his grace, Henry Somerset, Duke of Beaufort, whose monument, etc., we have already given an account of.
The late repairs of this Chapel, was at the expense of the present Duke of Beaufort.
At the north-west corner of this church, is Urswick's, or the Bread Chapel, so called from Dr. Christopher Urswick, Dean of Windsor, and joint promoter with Sir Reginald Bray, in finishing this fabric. This gentleman was also a faithful servant to Henry VII before his accession to the throne, and was afterwards employed by that prince on many embassies to foreign princes, on the most important subjects; and was in so great favour , that he was offered the greatest ecclesiatical honours, all which he refused, and anno 1505, resigned this deanery, and all his other preferments, contenting himself with the duties of his private parsonage e, at Hackney, where he died and was buried, 1521. His epitaph may be found in Weaver's funeral monuments; and, on the stone screen of this Chapel, is an ancient inscription in Latin, in English thus:
In this Chapel is a neat marble tablet, to the memory of Colonel Robert Brudenell, son of the Earl of Cardigan; he was the deputy-governor of Windsor Castle, under his brother, the Duke of Montague, and died October 20, 1768.
This Chapel is in the middle of the north aisle, and in the centre of it is a neat alabaster monument, erected to the memory of Sir George Manners, Lord Roos, in the reign of Henry VIII and of the Lady Ann, his wife, niece to Edward IV.
Sir George lies dressed in armour, his head resting on a helmet, and his feet on a unicorn, couchant. By his side lies his lady, in her robes of state, which were once beautifully blazoned, her head resting on a cushions supported by two angels. On each side of the tomb are their sons and daughters; and at one end are Angles displaying the family arms. Sir George died Oct. 23, 1513, and Lady Ann, April 22, 1526.
In this Chapel is another memorial of this noble family, viz. a brass plate gilt, whereon are the effigies of Ann, Duchess of Exeter, sister to King Edward IV and mother of the above Lady Ann Manners, and Sir Thomas Syllinger, her husband, with their arms blazoned, and a crucifix between them, with this insertion:
On a like plate, under the next window is engraved:
In the middle of the plate, the Doctor is represented in the habit of his degree, with St. Catherine behind him, kneeling before the Virgin Mary, with our Saviour in her lap.
On the west side of the choir door, in the north aisle, is a chapel, built by Elizabeth, the wife of William, Lord Hastings, Chamberlain to King Edward IV, and Master of the Mint, who for his loyalty to that Prince, and his royal issue, was put to death by Richard III, in the Tower of London.
The roof of this Chapel is neat, and was formerly richly ornamented and gilt. At each end are several niches, in which images appear to have been placed, and under them several angels, displaying the arms of the family of Hastings.
This Chapel is dedicated to St. Stephen, whose history is painted on four panels in the inside of it, and still well preserved.
In the first panel is St. Stephen preaching to the people; in the second he is represented before the tribunal of Herod; in the third is the stoning of this primitive martyr, by the Jews; and in the fourth the saint is represented in a sleeping posture, and above him his beatification. On the foreground is inscribed in Latin:
and under the several panels, are similar apposite sentences.
The grave stones in the various parts of the Chapel not being usually noticed by strangers, we have omitted to point them out, as a particular account of them would swell this compendium beyond its intended limits.
On the north side of the choir, adjoining to the altar, is a gallery, called the Queen's Closet, formerly used only for the accommodation of the ladies at an installation: in 1780 it was considerably repaired, and completely furnished with desks, stools, cushions, curtains, etc. and here their Majesties and the royal family attend divine service, every Sunday morning during their summer residence at Windsor.
The wainscot and canopy are both in the Gothic style, and neatly painted in imitation of Norway oak. The curtains are of fine garter blue silk, and the chairs and stools are covered with the same. On the covers of the cushions, within an oval, encircled with flowers, are neatly worked the letters G.R.
In the second window are neatly painted the arms of their Majesties, by Bristow; a sun-flower by West, and a rose, by Jarvis.
In the third window is St. Catherine, and the crowning of Queen Esther.
In the east window is a representation of Nabal receiving David's messengers, vide 25th chap. 1st book of Samuel.
In the window, on the south side of the closet, is an excellent piece, in ancient stained glass, of the Wise Men's Offering.
The upper part of the window, next the choir is beautifully ornamented with Mosaic glass; in this window are three pieces, representing the Dissipation, Distress, and return of the Prodigal Son; the arms of Henry VII and other representations, which add to the ornament and decent neatness of the whole.
At the east end of the north aisle is the Chapter House, wherein all the business of the College is transacted: this room is not usually shown to strangers, yet we presume the following particulars will be acceptable to the reader.
Fronting the entrance is a fine whole length of the renowned and victorious Edward III in his robes of state; in his right hand he holds a sword, bearing the crowns of France and Scotland, in token of the many conquests he gained over those nations. Round the frame is written this inscription:
On one side of this portrait is kept the all conquering sword of this renowned Prince, which is six feet nine inches long.
The stranger having gone thus far, it is necessay he should now feel for his loose silver, as the Sexton by this time is preparing to make his bow.
6 St George's Chapel - 3