The Long Walk
Updated February 2023
The Long Walk was commenced by
Charles II from 1680-1685 by planting a double
avenue of elm trees. The central carriage road was
added by Queen Anne in 1710. The original planting
comprised 1,652 trees placed 30 feet apart in each
direction. The width between the two inner rows was
150 feet, and overall 210 feet. It is a little less
long than the three miles of popular rumour being
around 2.65 miles (2 2/3rds miles or 4.26 km) from
George IV Gateway at Windsor Castle to The Copper
Many of the trees by this time were in need of replacement.
Following an outbreak of elm disease at the beginning of WWII, the avenue at the northern end was felled in 1943, work starting on 30th August of that year, with the entire replanting completed by February 1946. The avenue as we know it today at the northern end dates from that time, planted with London Plane and Horse Chestnuts. The original plan was to decide after a period of thirty years or so which species to retain, but during the subsequent thinning in the 1970s, the mix was retained.
Arriving by road from the south-east, from Old Windsor, you will cross The Long Walk and enjoy views up and down the avenue, towards the Copper Horse southwards, and the Castle to the north.
NB There are no official parking places nearby, and cars and cycles are not permitted to ride along the Long Walk. If arriving by coach the driver will slow down for a few moments to allow photographs but will be unable to stop. Car parking may be possible in the side roads to the west, but the best plan is to park in one of the town centre car parks and walk east from The Guildhall past the Parish Church into Park Street, entering the Long Walk through the Park Street gateway, middle left of the picture above and below.
cut down in 1943 and replaced with young saplings
Longman Green. 1864
To contact us, email Thamesweb.