| Alma Road
|A number of changes have taken place in Alma Road,
not least the construction of Goslar Way and the pulling down
of the former ISC building, Lawrence House. Here we feature pictures
of these areas from the early 1960s and 1970s kindly made available
by John Handcock, president of the Windsor Local History Group.
|Thames Side - A view
from Windsor Bridge
|Sadly not the highest definition postcard but a
useful reminder of just how busy Thames Side once was with no
less than five steamers either moored or just arriving.
Barker's Garage and the area around William
Street which was demolished in 1974.
|Sheet Street in the
|Sheet Street in the 1930s showing the original
Victoria Barracks and The Five Bells pub at the junction with
|Before Ward Royal
|Some views of the area before Ward Royal was built,
dating from the 1930s-1940s
|Castle Hill in the 1860s
|A very early photographic view of Castle Hill looking
towards the Castle. Look out for the ghostly image of a Hackney
|The Cedar Tree
in St Leonards Road
|The Cedar Tree in St Leonards Road pre-dates the
road by a long way. We are looking for information about its
earlier days before becoming a famous landmark in this part of
1904 - 2005
|Princess Christian Nursing Home photographed circa
1904 and again in 2005, boarded up, while awaiting planning permission
to be converted into flats.
|St Andrews Church,
Clewer, circa 1909
|The Norman Church at Clewer, St Andrews, photographed
circa 1909, by T E Cochrane, of 27 Queens Road, Windsor.
|Park Street and the
|Views of The New Inn and the General Post Office
in Park Street from around 1904
|St Edwards Church
|Little changed since the early part of the 20th
century, this photograph of St Edwards Church, issued as a post
card probably by T E Cochrane around 1910. Picture
|St Leonards Road
in 1915 and 2005
|Based on a rare photograph taken in 1915 of a passing
funeral cortege, this article concentrates on Then and Now 90
years apart, just days before yet another section of houses are
|River Street formerly Bier
|The road from the castle down to the river with
a variety of similar names over the centuries but now known as
River Street. River Street formerly Bier
Lane. See also Victorian
Occupations in Bier Lane
|An early postcard view and a mystery over the chapel...
Also, the graves of Patrick Young Alexander, pioneer aviator,
died 7th July 1943 and Trooper W T Brown, died 7th July 1915.
|The Eton Boathouses
from the Windsor Bank, 1870s
|Includes a photo kindly sent in from Canada. Staff
and rowers pose for the camera! Also includes a rare view of
the boathouses down stream of Windsor Bridge - now The House
on the Bridge Restaurant.
|The Royal Oak Hotel,
|The Royal Oak Hotel in Datchet Road was demolished
in approximately 1937 and replaced by the pub that survives to
this day. Here we feature two very good quality, detailed visitors'
photographs taken from Farm Yard looking towards the Royal Oak
and the Southern Region Station. One dates from 1913, the other
from around 1936.
Stores, Alma Road
|A typical local grocer and general store. 'There
was nothing they didn't sell'. Photographed in the 1930s.
|St Leonards Hill,
|The former mansion belonging to the d'Harcourts.
Photographed in 1894.
|Windsor Castle from
the west - 1830s
|Two engravings, one of the river and its traffic,
the other of the farmland to the west in the vicinity of Oxford
|Romney Lock around
|A variety of views from in and around Romney Lock
in the 1890s from original stereoviews and period postcards.
|Windsor High Street
in early 1900s
The High Street from the east looking west
towards the Guildhall and including the London and County Bank
in the early 1900s.
A second view (an albumen print) looking
west along the High Street from The Guildhall west towards the
Curfew Tower. Approx.1895.
|The Lifeguards in St Leonards Road
|The Lifeguards marching to church in 1906, also
featuring the premises of Edward Bampfylde the builder. A second
postcard shows The Lifeguards marching to Combermere Barracks
and passing the site of the future Edward VII Hospital. 1908.
|Upper Thames Street
1900s, plus Curfew Tower, 1840s and 1850s
|Views in both directions along the upper stretch
of Thames Street as it passes the castle dating from the 1920s
and 1950s, plus Boots and Tulls Restaurant as well as illustrations
of the Curfew Tower in the 1850s. Includes remarkable picture
of the Curfew Tower being 'remodelled'.
Street in early 1900s
|The approach to Windsor
Bridge in the very early 1900s and Datchet Road junction,
later the site of the George
V Memorial. Also similar view from Windsor Bridge looking
along Thames Street and towards the castle
|Windsor Bridge in
|Two 19th century illustrations
of Windsor Bridge,
one just before, and one after its rebuilding in cast iron in
|St Stephens College
and Church in 1890s
|View around the end of the 19th century of Oxford
Road and Vansittart Road junction, with just one old car, showing
St Stephens College and Church, subsequently known as Clewer
St Stephens School in the 1950s and 1960s.
|Blacknest Gate in
Windsor Great Park in early 1900s
|From a small and unobtrusive leafy gateway to the
park at the time of the First World War to the automatic white
gates of 2003.
and the area before its construction - 1870s on
|Once just a riverside pasture, it later became
a tribute to Queen Alexandra, wife of Edward VII. It is now a
large and attractive lawned area, surrounded by mature trees.
Pictures here from 1870s and later.
|St Leonards Road. The
Old Court, Police Station and Fire Station 1908
|Pictured soon after the construction of the Police
Station and Fire Station, c. 1908. Also view from this area north
towards Merry Wives and Windsor town centre. Circa 1906.
|Peascod Street in
|A dozen or so views, some rare, some not so rare,
of Peascod Street from the very early 1900s, both coloured and
black and white, with The Star and Garter pub, famous for its
boxing connections. Also Darvilles Grocery Store.
|A Shop in Winkfield
|A little out of the way for the
Windsor Website but having found the postcard, we could not resist!